Tuesday, March 5, 2013

For the Love of Cats


After being ridiculed for too long I have to come out now with a question I ponder for at least a short amount of time a day.

Why is it weirder to love cats than it is to love dogs?

Let me clear up that I am not a crazy cat lady.  I am a college student, living in an apartment, and do not have the finances or time to own a cat, or let alone 4, which is the number of cats I believe is required to be a cat lady.  I do however, love cats. 

I never had much of an affection for cats, I never imagined myself even owning a cat in my lifetime.  Until one day in seventh grade my sister’s friend brought a little mewing Albert Einstein furball with eyes into my house and I fell in love immediately.  I named him Gizmo and he is my pride and joy. 

Gizmo now weighs about 20 pounds.  He is a regal, black and grey striped long-haired beast with a white chest, white paws, and a white tip of the tail.  He is the king of the house and everybody knows it, especially himself.  His personality is unbeatable and the thought of him makes me smile. 

When I left for college I had to leave behind Gizmo and move onto a cat-less life.  I come across cats on a rare occasion, but when I do, it warms my heart and I get excited.  If I see a cat I will attempt to pet it, and Youtube videos of cats doing funny things makes my day significantly better. 

The reality is, plenty of people love dogs the same way I love cats.  People love their own dogs as much as I love my cat.  But I’m the weird cat lover.

My friends know me for a lot of things, but loving cats is one of them.  My friend loves puppies even more than I love cats, but she doesn’t get judged for it, even if she hyperventilates when a dog enters her line of sight.  Instead, I’m told I’ll be a cat lady for the rest of my life.  I reach out to pet a cat, and I get laughed at.  I reach out to pet a dog, and everyone else does too.  I don’t get it.

If cats are not your thing then that’s fine, but don’t judge people who love cats.  And if you still decide to, look at this face and tell me it’s unlovable:


3 comments:

  1. That thing is downright adorable. I personally prefer dogs over cats because my Calico used to sit on my face when I was sleeping at night. Which is gross and weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a cat lover! My friends call me a crazy cat lady, but I also do not believe I am quit there yet. I love the way you describe Gizmo, he is such a cute cat!! i loved your post because I think that its not weird to love cats more than dogs. I also have dogs but I still love cats more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! You are right-on. If people have multiple dogs, no one cares. But multiple cats? Pegged crazy cat lady for life. I love dogs very much, but they are a lot more difficult to take care of (consistent walks, higher medical expenses, more time, etc.). Cats are easier and that's why I have three. I'm a pet lover in general and cannot wait to get dogs, but for now, my friends will continue to make fun of me.

    ReplyDelete