Thursday, April 11, 2013

Grammar problems

Hey everyone,

So, I have a paper due in the next couple of weeks and my grammar sucks(I'm sure after reading this you will see). I was curious to see if anyone had any advice on how to easily become a better grammatical writer. This has always been a problem of mine, as I mentioned in workshop. I can see that some people just have the gift of writing something and not thinking twice about where they are putting punctuation or grammar at all for that matter, I want to be able to do that.

Sum 1 giv me sumthin!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Matt,
    Does your computer have a grammar and spell check in whatever word processing program you use? If you use one that doesn't, maybe consider switching to word or something. That seems like the easiest fix, and then you can see the mistakes you made and how to fix them. Also, you could find a friend who is really good with grammar and ask them to proofread it? And then while they do, ask questions about the mistakes you made to learn the right way to fix them. Those are the best suggestions I can think of right now... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've got a couple of hours to spare, "The Elements of Fucking Style" makes grammar and general writing tips really ... memorable. It's basically Strunk and White if Strunk and White said things like "Commas are fucking fun" and "Symmetry is the tits." Despite the chapter titles, it is actually a really helpful parody, and it's a fast read. I have a copy, if you want to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WANT THAT BOOK^ I'm coming after you, Amazon.

      Delete