Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Office Scene


(This is just a scene from a potential young adult fiction book I might write)
 
I clicked my nails on the white table with my right hand, while my left supported my head. My long hair tangled itself between my fingers. The ticking of the clock in the otherwise silent office seemed sharper as each second passed. I looked up at the unembellished circle in irritation and sighed when I realized it was a quarter past one.

            But I had expected nothing less. Matthew had become particularly vengeful towards me as of late. His being unpunctual to our appointment was nothing compared to when he “accidentally” spilled hot coffee over my blouse three days ago. His childishness belonged on an elementary school playground, where the teasing between boys and girls exemplify affection, rather than in a professional office filled with supposedly professional adults.

            My teeth began to grind together when I heard his laugh from the other side of the door. I could hear hushed words exchanged between him and, presumably, a coworker. When the handle began to turn with deliberate slowness, I hastily straightened up to look dignified and pointedly irritated at his rude behavior.

            Matthew stepped inside and flashed me a too-perfect smile. “Katherine.” He said my name the way friends who haven’t seen each other in a while do. When the word’s pronunciation is stretched longer than it needs to be. “I apologize for my tardiness. I was caught up in a rather important project and lost track of time.”

            I’m sure you did. “I know how that goes.” I gave him a fake smile. He raised an eyebrow. He could always tell when I was not being genuine.

            Instead of calling me out on it, Matthew set down his briefcase on the table and took a seat in the leather swivel chair directly across from me. He took a deep breath, as if preparing himself for something, and pulled at his red tie to loosen it.

            Rather than dealing with all of the routine courtesies, I proceeded straight to business. “I have a first draft of the presentation for upper management next Tuesday. I changed a few of your slides, but they were minor modifications.”

            “Why do I get the feeling that they were more than minor?” Matthew asked with a laugh that filled me with the desire to smack him.

            “Why do I get the feeling that when you said you would pay the bill on my blouse, I don’t believe I will ever see the money?” I retorted, still bitter about the brown splotch that stained the white silk. I realized I shouldn’t talk to my supervisor’s son in this tone, but it was only Matthew.

            “Do you remember when you spilled cranberry juice on my superhero shirt back in the sixth grade? I was absolutely devastated about that. I believe we can call it even.”

            There was a joking edge to his voice. It made me feel as if his mockery was veiled behind playful banter. “Why am I not surprised that you would bring that up?” It was more of a rhetorical question.

            “You may think I spilled the coffee on purpose, but it really was accidental, Katherine. I would never injure you purposely.” Matthew looked away from me and snapped open his briefcase. He shuffled through papers as if he were trying to avoid my hard gaze.

            “No. Instead you are intent on ruining my potential career within this company,” I replied icily.

            Matthew stifled a laugh and turned his eyes up at me, that playful sparkle there once again. “Why would I ever try to ruin you? I prefer to think of it as healthy competition. I’m keeping you on your toes. And my father thinks you’re a wonderful employee. You should be grateful.”

            I stared at him blankly. “And he likes me for me. You didn’t do anything.” Before Matthew could reply, I interrupted him. “Can we just get back to the work? Linda has been breathing down my neck for the past month about this project and I am not going to fail again.”

            “You never failed the first time,” Matthew told me sharply. The anger in his voice put me on edge. Was he angry at me? “They could not have possibly expected you to finish that budget plan in two days without knowing about it prior. You did the best you could.”

            I narrowed my eyes as I thought about that and shifted in my seat, which I suddenly noticed was uncomfortable.

            “So the presentation?”

            “Oh right.” I flipped open my laptop, typed in my password with the impressive speed that only muscle memory can perform, and opened the presentation.

            I turned my laptop so that it faced Matthew. He flicked through the slides more rapidly than I expected and wondered if he was going to be any help. As hard as I tried to understand his expressions, his blue eyes were unreadable. His eyes scanned each slide and his lips were pursed in concentration.

            A sort of hysteria washed over me as suddenly as a wave destroying the sand architecture made by children on a beach. I almost laughed when I realized Matthew hadn’t changed over the years. From English papers in high school to important projects at the company, Matthew still studied my work with shrewd diligence.

            When I noticed Matthew was looking at me with a questioning expression, probably because of the foolish smile spread across my lips, a blush crept along my face. “What do you think?” I blurted suddenly.

            “It’s very good. Organized and well thought out. I have a few suggestions for improvement though.”

            I nodded and half-stood so I could look see his recommendations. He sighed, turned the laptop towards me, and picked up his chair so that he sat beside me. I was keenly aware of smell of his cologne. It was impossible to describe. The scent seemed to be a combination of fresh clothes and something that gave me the impression I could eat it.

            Matthew pointed out a few things, we argued over a few, but I made most of the changes. I felt as if a stone had been lifted off my chest. This time, I would make Linda proud and impress the executives.

            “Which slides would you like to present? I’ll present whichever you don’t want or are uncomfortable with,” Matthew offered. He was being too kind. This wasn’t like him.

            “I don’t care. Whichever you prefer,” I replied tentatively, anticipating some sort of trick.

            Matthew rolled his eyes. “Just choose.”

            Perplexed by his strange attitude, I claimed the first half of the presentation. “Would you like to practice?”

            Matthew hesitated and checked his designer watch. “No, I’m sorry. I can’t right now. I have an appointment with my supervisor. Maybe tomorrow.”

            “Sure. Just tell me when. I want it to be perfect. Though I hate to admit it, I’m very nervous.”

            “Well of course you are. You were ripped apart last time.”

            “Yes. At least you and I will take the fall together just in case things go that direction again.” I laughed, even though I was serious.

            Matthew returned the chair to its original spot and packed up his briefcase. His hand lingered on the black handle for a moment. “Will Jonathan be at that meeting?”

            My brow furrowed. “Yes. As far as I know he will be. Why?”

            Matthew’s jaw seemed to tighten and he continued to stare at his briefcase. As if he realized his behavior appeared odd, he turned his head to smile at me. “Well you’ll have no problem impressing one person then.”

            I glared at him. “What do you mean by that?”

            Matthew laughed. “Don’t act stupid. You know Jonathan has feelings for you.”

            I felt the blush return to my face. “We are coworkers. That’s all. It would be inappropriate.”

            A strange expression spread across Matthew’s face. It seemed as though what I said bothered him somehow, though I had no idea why. “I will call you later so we can set up a time to meet.”

            Before I had the chance to reply, Matthew was out the door.
 
-Katie Becker

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! I really like this scene! You paint really vivid characters and set up an infectious sort of tension. I would definitely read the rest of the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I love writing fiction. Definitely my dream job.

      Delete