Monday, February 18, 2013

Strangers

Everybody has a smartphone in their hand. Necks craned to read the small print on that lighted frame, backs hunched, shoulders carved, introverted humans. Introverted humans in a public place. It's Valentines day, so all the posts on my Facebook newsfeed say the same things.

"Just had the best date with my boyfriend! Thanks babe for making today so special. with -- Jackson Clements"

"#forveralone"

"I think someone forgot to ask me to be their Valentine this year. Oh wait that's every year. Lol"

I take turns scrolling between my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram feeds. Scroll scroll scroll. I wonder what the hell I'm doing with my life. I wonder why it's taking so long for Cactus to make my ham and cheese omelet.

We're waiting for our food, all we want is our food. Call our names quickly and we can be on with our days, please. 

I look up from my iPhone only to make sure the cook behind the steel counter hasn't called my name without my knowledge and my omelet is getting cold. Still no omelet. I decide to be adventurous and tuck my cell into the back pocket of my jeans, but now what do I do with my arms? I cross them over my chest, trying to look like I belong without a screen in front of my face. It's difficult.

Whatever you do, don't make eye contact.

While I wait, I turn to the fountain machine behind me to fill up a styrofoam with water. To my left, an unfamiliar voice speaks, "How are you?"

I could feel this directed towards me, but strangers don't talk to strangers so I dismiss the words. In any case, I look out of the corner of my eye and see a student looking at me.

"I'm doing well, how are you?" This is me playing it off like conversations with strangers are a normal thing.

"I'm doing really good!"

"Good!" I proceed to take a sip of my water, and the conversation is over.

Since this moment, I haven't been content with the way society functions.  I'm wondering why people can't talk to people for the sake of talking to people. I'm wondering why you have to be drunk, or mutual friends, or physically attracted. I'm wondering why we can't leave our phones in our back pockets and have the confidence to spark up a conversation with a nearby stranger.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great post! It really makes you think! I was at a play last night and as soon as the curtain wen up for intermission all the smartphones came out...no one stopped to take in what they had just seen, or comment on it to those directly around them, but instead posted their thoughts on social media. I think social media is great in some respects, but I resent that sometimes it makes people forget to be present where they are!

    ReplyDelete